Tuesday, January 20, 2009

City of Blinding Lights

Washington DC is my favorite city to visit. I could silently walk among the monuments for days and think about the path of our history. My favorite is the Jefferson Memorial. I would love to sit under that dome and read his words for hours, but for some reason it is always rushed. People I take to Washington want to see Washington and Lincoln; old Jefferson is out of the way and an afterthought. When I was studying political science in college I had to take a lot of theory and philosophy classes. Just about every paper I wrote was based on either Jefferson or Martin Luther King Jr. I just love their words.

We all have such hopes for the world. We all have ideas about how we think things could be better, or different, or things we want to keep exactly the same. It's something we are taught as young Americans, that we are free, that we can make a difference, that what we think matters. Today mattered.

I hope we are finally going to past the fear and uncertainty of the past seven years (because it really all started on 9/11), take a breath, and move on. After long years of war, a million voices gathered together on the mall to declare peace. It won't happen in a day, or a month, or a year. Coming together and renouncing, so visibly, the path we've been on was hopefully a sign of good times to come.

No comments: