Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wasted Years

I've lived in my own house for one year.  It's been a good year, with lots of changes and lots of firsts.  But every now and then I am reminded that I live alone in this space.  Sure, Zoey (my dog) is here, but at the end of the day I'm here all alone.  I have my family and I have my friends and I am very happy to have both.   I really like my job and have plenty of things that keep me busy and make me happy. 
 
Sometimes I just wonder if this is how it's going to be, like, always.
 
When I moved to North Carolina I felt like I was running away from home.  Sure, my parents were here by then, but I just picked up and left my whole life in California.  People who loved me.  Friends I still miss (especially on New Year's Eve).  I used to think that being alone was my punishment for doing something so reckless.  Have I just imagined that? 
 
I think at some point there was a choice to be made and I was so astonished at the repercussions of one, I forgot to make any others.  Instead I stood still, waiting for the next choice, waiting for things to happen to me instead of making things happen.  After a few years, I changed my mind.  I chose to buy my house.  So, with all the growing pains of this past year and nothing but the future ahead of me, I'm hoping for no more wasted years. 

No comments: