Saturday, August 04, 2007

Something's Missing

This week has been the perfect example of the saying...we make plans and God laughs.  I have been on vacation for the last week and had planned to write a blog a day.  Even if there are only one or two periodic readers, it feels good to get these thoughts out sometimes and feel like someone will hear me.  I traveled last weekend and made notes during the long trip home about things I wanted to write about.  The day I got home my friend Linda and I went and saw John Mayer play (and ran into people I know -- I love it when that happens as it makes me feel like I really live here now).  Then the plans all started to unravel.  I had appointments lined up every day of various types -- doctors, carpet cleaners, classes at the gym, kids hauling off furniture.  Each of my days had a plan and a purpose -- it wasn't necessarily a fun vacation but a time to handle errands and just Get Things Done (I'm borrowing Rebecca's caps).  Getting sick on day two was not part of the plan.  So, it's several days later and I'm not any better and half of the things have been done.  Progress was made and my list was too ambitious anyway.  It's the blogging thing that still had me bothered.  So much to say and no strength to type.  Really, that's just sad.
 
I leave you tonight with the set list from the show last Tuesday...
 
Vultures
I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)
Why Georgia*
Bigger Than My Body
Clarity
Belief*
Gravity
Good Love is On the Way*
In Repair*
Waiting on the World to Change*
No Such Thing*
I Don't Need No Doctor  (seriously honey, don't end your show with a song no one in your demographic knows -- I know you want to bring the blues to the masses -- just put it earlier in the show)
I'm Gonna Find Another You
 
*Yay
 
Oh wait, the title of the post is Something's Missing.  As in, the rest of the list?  So many others songs are missing from that list....Comfortable, Home Life, Tracing, 83, The Heart of Life, Stop This Train, and my favorites Neon and Love Song for No One.  That's not even figuring in the famous ones everyone knows (Daughters, Wonderland).  I guess if we had another couple of hours he could have played those too.  I think Ben Folds had an unusually long set (local boy plays at home and all that) and it probably ate into our show.  Linda spent the next two nights seeing DMB in Boston and they played a ton more songs (and their songs are long).  I guess what I'm getting around to saying is that I was gypped out of a vacation and feel like John owes me more songs.  Think I'll get anyone to pay up?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Mayer does a good cover of celebration. I am (more like was) a big fan and when downloading was free I downloaded a few concerts. I hope you had fun, you should have went to the DMB concert (always a great show).

Heather said...

I will be seeing DMB in Raleigh in September. Linda actually saw JM on Tuesday then flew to Boston to see DMB on Wednesday AND Thursday. Oh, to be a kid again.

Rebecca said...

Bill just bought a live DMB cd at Starbucks. Wow.

Great post, and you're welcome to "my caps" any time. I got them from A.A.Milne and Rudyard Kipling, anyway. There's nothing new under the sun....

I Totally Identify, by the by, with the ambitious vacation list. I hate that.

Heather said...

Yeah, I knew other authors used them, but you're my favorite of the bunch.

Sorry that I wasn't chatty when we saw you at the concert -- I'd spent the previous 3 days with my grandparents in Missouri, had about 4 hours of sleep and woke up sick the next morning (after driving Linda to the airport at 4am). Burning the candle at every conceivable end!