Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Painted Desert Serenade

I woke up this morning in a hotel room thousands of miles from home. I saw a little of the sunrise over the cactus, tumbleweeds, and the golf course outside my balcony. It was pretty to see, but it really just made me want to go home. Knowing that I was waking up to get in a car, to get in a plane, and then another, and then MY car to go to MY house to put my head on MY pillow...it could be a wasted day if it wasn't for what was waiting at the other end. If I am really, really lucky, I might even get to see the 3rd period of the game tonight.

I sat in my hotel room Monday night with my friend Elizabeth, watching Carolina win game 4 of the Final. As we sat there we talked about all the things we love about living in North Carolina...

People care about their sports -- and aren't afraid to paint their faces, wear team jerseys/t-shirts/hats/etc on a daily basis -- not just to games. Car flags are pretty much part of the deal too.

High school sports scores make the news.

It takes 15 minutes to get just about anywhere. 20 minutes if there is traffic.

It snows just once or twice a year -- enough to see the magic of a snowflake but not so much that it is too much work.

It's a big deal when someone gets murdered.

Seasons -- all 5 of them -- winter, spring, summer, hurricane, fall.

The airport is big enough that you can go anywhere in 2 jumps, but when you get home it only takes 10 minutes to get your bags.

It was nice seeing you Arizona, but I can't wait to get home.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Those are all Really Good Reasons.

Thanks for this lovely post. Go Canes!