Thursday, June 01, 2006

Hurricane (Bush version - the band, not the president)

IT'S HURRICANE SEASON: CANES WILL PLAY FOR STANLEY CUP
I'm not excited or anything.  I probably won't sleep for hours.  This entire season came down to the last 18 minutes of game 7 of the third round.  It was the 100th game for both teams.
 
From TSN.ca:    "You couldn't hear yourself think as 18,730 fans at RBC Center went nuts. Yet they found another decibel level when Williams capped things off with 51.7 seconds to go, flipping in a rebound over Miller to end the drama."  ...loudest house in the NHL.  Oh just you wait!  Monday is going to be INSANE.  Just hope I get to be there.
 
In 2002, a lot of people made fun of Carolina hockey -- lot's of references to the Andy Griffith Show and media people talking about how no one here even knew what they were watching.  Four years later, and after 10 years in North Carolina, I think "redneck" hockey has taken hold.  Is it a coincidence that today is Andy Griffith's 80th birthday?
 
Is it just another coincidence that today is the first day of Hurricane Season?  I think it started last October, we just didn't have the last bit of proof until tonight.
 
Whatever you do boys, just don't touch the Prince Wales trophy.  Wait for the real thing. 

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Whoo-hoo! I am definitely excited about the Canes, though I admit to holding some allegiance for the Penguins. I am from Pittsburgh, you know....

Go Canes!!!