Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Rock You Like A Hurricane

This season I went to 20 regular season Carolina Hurricanes games and 5 playoff games.  In my life I have been to about 100 games -- let's just say I am not what you would call a casual fan.  I have never been so proud of a team as I am of the Canes tonight.  It's not just about winning -- I would have posted the same sentiments whether they won or lost.  From the beginning of the season to the end these guys played together with a calm intensity that just had to be rewarded.  They carried themselves with class, didn't play dirty (I think they went 2 months without a fight), embraced this community -- and often gave more then they had to give.  The Canes took us on a road trip to Lowell to see the kids play during the lockout and who knew then what those boys could become?  The team took their dads on a road trip -- this team has always been about caring about those around you more than you care about yourself.   I have met at least 5 of them randomly (at work, in various coffee shops) and they have always been gracious and that's not something you can say about a lot of professional athletes.  They are people with tremendous talent, not a bunch of out-of-reach superstars.  They are a part of us.
 
Looking back to the first home game when Cam shuts down Mario Lemeiux, Ziggy Palfy and Sidney Crosby in the shootout, I felt only good things would come.  To Rod, Glen, Cory, Kevyn, Erik, Eric, Craig, Aaron, Bret, Matt, Justin, Ray, Doug, Big Joe, Chad, Mike, Mark, Andrew, Anton, Oleg, Frank, Nicky, Marty, and of course, Cam, congratulations from the bottom of my heart.  Thank you for a fabulous season. 

No comments: