Thursday, August 07, 2008

Photograph


Look at this photograph

Every time I do it makes me laugh


So I worried for nothing (of course). I think we all did. We spent an afternoon laughing at our former selves, the boys we used to like and gave little snapshots of who we are now. Living in NC, single, job (why can't my job have an easier name???). That's all. That's enough.
It was amazing how everyone was really the same. I didn't go to my 10 year reunion but after this weekend I think it's likely I will go to my 20th in a few years. It was just one day, but it was one day that hopefully reconnected the threads of my past and my present, and maybe those threads will reach into the future. I go back to CA often enough that I should be able to keep in touch, though it is harder from 3000 miles away (everything is).
I don't know if it's my only-childness, or my nomadic childhood, or my horrible friend-keeping skills, but it was astonishing to me that anyone remembered anything about me at all. It's completely irrational -- I remember so many details about other people it's completely normal that they would have to remember me too. It's just that I've been gone so long and was there for such a short time...it just seems like it would be forgettable. But a couple of the girls remembered my car that smelled like maple syrup, and singing Debbie Gibson songs, and there were pictures of me that I've never seen, and the core group of girls who I spent several years with were all just who I remembered them to be. I'm so glad I made the effort -- it was so worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It was just one day, but it was one day that hopefully reconnected the threads of my past and my present, and maybe those threads will reach into the future."
I love that - the fabric of life!

BK

Heather said...

A little over the top poetically, but I really mean it. I can't remember the last time I was so glad I had done something.