Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Kids Are Alright

Whooooooo!  Whoooo hoooo! 
 
The Canes really had me scared.  It was easy to talk them up to everyone who asked me about them for the last two days, but I woke up today preparing myself for them to go down 0-3 in their series against Montreal.  Just going to overtime doesn't matter anymore -- it only matters if you win.  When the Canes went into overtime tonight in game 3, I started thinking about their year and how it all came down to the minutes ahead.  Win, and we have a series and a chance to play on.  Lose, and they'll be forgotten as the team that was built for the season but not for the playoffs. I had already written my post for tonight if they lost -- I guess I jinxed them into winning.  I'll have to try that again...and press the delete key on that ill-fated post.
 
This game was won by a team, but the stand outs were the two famed kids -- Eric Stall who scored the winning goal in overtime (also the first playoff goal of is career) and Cam Ward, the baby-faced goalie who won in Montreal, in overtime, in his first playoff start ever.  Actually, Eric's got quite a baby face too -- although I'm happy to say I think his playoff beard is growing in nicely.  So is Erik Cole's -- he's traveling with the team, neck collar and all.  I'll bet he's not given up his pre-game DJ job.  Play on, Erik.  We miss you.
 

No comments: