Thursday, March 09, 2006

Forever Young

First, I have to admit I watch The OC. I think I'm about 15 years out of their demographic and looks nothing like my high school, which actually was in Orange County, but I can't help it. I think I may be one of the only people who gets the title. No one there calls it The OC, it's just Orange County, OC, South County, whatever dude. [Here's where you've got to stick with me] In Southern Cal, freeways all start with "the" -- to get from my house to CSUF I took the 91 to the 57. Notice the the's? Anywhere else in America, freeways just have numbers. I take 540 to get to work everyday and take 540 to 40 to get to hockey games. If I said the 540, people would think I was weird. But I can't image taking 91 to 57 -- they require the's. So, if you ever lived this (and left it), The OC is a hilarious joke. But I digress...

At the end of tonight's episode, there was a song playing called Forever Young. I'm not sure who it is, but the original was by Alphaville. That song once meant so much to me. I had a friend my freshman year named Kathy, who was killed right after she graduated. She was so much of that year for me -- she was such a good friend that she got out of line at her graduation to sit and hold my hand while I cried about someone else I wasn't talking to at the time and thought I never would again (you know who you are -- I'm forever grateful you needed Bullfrog for your graduation trip). I recall her saying one day she needed to stop drinking and having sex. I was 14 and completely shocked -- I didn't really think people in high school did those things (then I moved to The OC...). Anyway, she loved that song and then she died. "Youth like diamonds in the sun and diamonds are forever."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought you were talking about the Bob Dylan song "Forever Young", and I was wondering what in the hell it had to do with a teenybopper show....! but I'm pretty sure it's a different song. Goes back to the mid-70's or thereabouts...I'm really dating myself here, aren't I?? I have to admit that I'm sometimes guilty of thinking that the "new" songs (anything written after about 1990!)are crap and can never achieve the holy levels of 60's and 70's music. But I guess that's because I was young then. The music of your youth stays with you forever, sorta like a lucky charm or a warm blanket...

Heather said...

Alphaville was a German band and this song is from 1989 or so, so it makes your cut for decent music. I agree with the good stuff being what you loved when you were young -- and someday the kids we know are going to look back at Britney Spears with fondness, recalling the "good" music of their childhoods. That almost makes my heart hurt.