Thursday, March 23, 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Anyone who knows me well knows I am a big old geek about figure skating.  I can admit it -- I know far too much about who the coaches are, where everyone trains, and old school Russian grudges that go back for decades.  I know the difference between a toe loop, an axel and a salchow (hell, I know how to spell salchow).  It's just something I've always loved.
 
Last week I went to see Stars on Ice -- it's my favorite day of the year.  This was my 10th show -- it has changed so much over the years but never disappoints.  There is a moment in every show that something so beautiful happens that no matter how my life is, I am so glad to be there in that moment.
 
The Olympic year is a special one.  You have your favorites and you watch them succeed or live to compete another day.  Today is that day.  The World Championships are this week and I'm spending a perfect night watching some spectacular programs (Evan Lysacek) and some devastating tumbles (Johnny Weir), while also watching the NCAA tournament (Duke just lost, Memphis just won).  I'm wearing my fuzzy slippers and my flannel pjs with a fire going in the fireplace and a stack of magazines to catch up my reading.
 
As much as I know about skating, I just do not understand Stephane Lambiel's costume.  Surely it's got to mean something -- surely the Swiss can't be that fashion challenged.

No comments: